Bridgwater Town Deal has launched a new website, providing information for the local community about the eleven projects set to benefit from £23.2million allocated investment into the town.
The new site – bridgwatertowndeal.co.uk – outlines the ambitions and vision for Bridgwater, introduces the Town Deal projects, and highlights the opportunities and benefits that this investment will bring for the town.
The website will share all the latest Bridgwater Town Deal news, and more details will be added over the coming weeks about the individual Town Deal projects.
The eleven projects within the Bridgwater Town Deal are:
- Tidal Barrier: Major infrastructure project that will protect Bridgwater town centre from flooding, unlocking housing and employment growth.
- Dunball Junction: Regional infrastructure project that will reduce congestion, enabling the continued growth and regeneration of the town.
- Walking and Cycling: Improved walking and cycling routes to boost sustainable travel options, connecting key employment and leisure areas.
- Celebration Mile: Improvements to public realm in order to open new places and spaces within the town centre and boost the local cultural events programme.
- Restoration of the Docks: Restoration of the historic docks quarter to create a vibrant new leisure and tourism destination.
- Arts Centre: Enhancing the facilities and improving accessibility at this historic Grade I listed building to support local artists and cultural events.
- Town Hall Theatre: Transforming this central cultural facility and providing inclusive access to office and meeting spaces for community and social enterprises.
- Engine Room 2.0: Increased capacity for community media centre, engaging people with digital art and media-enhancing skills.
- Bridgwater ‘Step up’: Flexible business and enterprise support hub, including creative ‘pop-up’ and ‘taster-event’ space and support.
- Bridgwater Carnival: Development of Carnival workshop space to future-proof and enhance Carnival events.
- Town Wardens/Event Ambassadors: A friendly, visible presence within the town centre to connect local residents and businesses, and to reduce anti-social behaviour in the town, building confidence for visitors.
The Bridgwater Town Deal is set to bring £23.2million government investment into the town, focusing on the three key themes from the Town Investment Plan: Unlocking growth; Places and spaces; Diversifying the town centre & instilling civic pride.
The aim is to ‘level up’ the area and create a vibrant and welcoming town centre. This will be achieved through the Town Deal projects by revitalising the social, cultural and economic offerings in the town centre, as well as unlocking future growth by resolving traffic congestion and protecting the area from tidal flooding.
All Town Deal funding must be spent by the end of March 2026, so many of the opportunities and benefits for Bridgwater will be achieved within the next three years.
The £3.6billion Towns Fund is part of the government’s plan for levelling up the UK economy, aiming to drive the sustainable economic regeneration of towns and deliver long term economic and productivity growth.